About the A-Bike Where to Buy Reviews Forum A-BIKE CENTRAL
Home Page
Gallery & Videos Sinclair Bikes History Other Folding Bikes A-Bike News (Blog)

Back tire leaks while pumping, repair or replace? -see video

Chat about your A-Bike, post details of your exploits, ask advice from other owners, etc.

Moderators: Binch Shin, newcross, Amuro Lee

Back tire leaks while pumping, repair or replace? -see video

Postby JazJon on Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:32 am

I haven't use my A-Bike in a few weeks so I went to pump up the tires with air. The front tire took just fine. The rear tire makes a leak noise with each pump. The air noise seems to be coming out the stem near where the rubber meets metal valve, but I cant feel or see anything. (only hear)

Do I have any repair options? If not, where can I get a new tire? Is it easy to do myself or should I take it to a bike repair shop?

Here is a video i recorded with my iPhone via qik:

http://qik.com/video/318821
JazJon

Re: Back tire leaks while pumping, repair or replace? -see video

Postby rongood on Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:32 pm

You can get replacement inner tubes from the A-bike Store, www.a-bike.co.uk, and also check out the videos at the A-bike Support Network at http://abikesupport.ning.com/
It is important when you have an A-bike to get familiar with repairing it, especially if you don't live in London. The A-bike Support Network has good, although dated, videos showing all aspects of repair. I have taken my A-bike apart many times now, using care, good tools, and the videos to guide me.
rongood

Postby Nigel Kellett on Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:54 am

Hi JazJon,

I had the same problem: I replaced the rear lower tube, layshaft, both chains & the rear tyre perfectly, but then, within half an hour, there was the sound of a sudden rushing of air! The seal between the inner tube & valve had decided to pack up all by itself! By far the easiest option was to replace the inner tube (I got 2 from Mayhem - they're a lot cheaper now, since I got them in June, as are tyres), but I have also kept the old one, because it is in very good nick; maybe, if I get around to it, I could see if I could get some rubber cement down between the seal & valve, and just leave it to cure for a long time. I am doubtful that that would be totally or long-term successful, but it might be worth a try. I never forced the valve, but feel that my particular one perhaps just weakened slightly every time I pumped up the tyre, which I do once a week, or every other ride. Good luck.
Nigel Kellett

Postby djyemi on Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:37 am

just a word of advice, always, always maintain the right tyre pressure (like I learned this morning).
djyemi

Postby JazJon on Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:43 am

thanks I have a pair of tubes on order from abike shop. I'll follow the helpful video.
JazJon

Postby djyemi on Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:16 am

hi, seems like i have got the same problems that you have. i ruptured my tyre due to not pumping it up properly.hence i bought a brand new set from mayhem i.e. tube and tyre. watched the video on how to fit it; followed it to the book. And now all i get is a woosh of air each time i pump. i cant get it up to even 50psi. i guess this is something that they need to correct. i still cant ride my bike, will try other ideas in the morning; probably call mayhem for some advice.
djyemi

Postby JazJon on Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:43 am

I only ordered new tubes will need new tires as well?
JazJon

Postby djyemi on Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:13 am

Hi...nope, I only ordered the tyres because my tyre was actually ripped (damaged) by riding it under inflated (my bad), so you shouldnt need a new tyre if its not physically damaged.I spoke to Mayhem (UK's local distributor of a-bike). They reckon that the tube valves can easily get damaged during re-installation.Suggested I get a professional biking company to install the tube for me instead (all costing more money though).
djyemi

Postby Nigel Kellett on Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:40 pm

Hi JazJon,

I found that the rear tyre wears incredibly more quickly than the front, so when I changed the rear inner tube I took the opportunity to change the tyre aswell, as the tread had virtually gone; I kept the old one, though, because it is absolutely fine (apart from the tread), and I can always 'rotate' it onto the front when I can be bothered. That way, I would hope to end up with a spare with more tread, being better for the rear than a 'slick', I feel; besides, I don't really ride the A-bike in the wet, but it can always get damp & slippery in the autumn.

By the way, I think that Alex is pretty rough when installing the inner tube on the video. I was far far gentler, even the first time when the valve sleave packed up on its own 20 or so minutes later. I can't remember how I did it, but it is very easy to be gentler. I think that I slightly inflated the tube, which always avoids pinching anyway, and twisted the tube round until the valve almost popped through its hole. I still feel that the constant tugging on the valve to attach the pump each time eventually knackers the valve sleave.
Nigel Kellett

Postby JazJon on Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:10 pm

Thanks, I think I'll try it myself first and take your advice of the light prep pump, and being as gentle as possible. If I ruin the first tube, I'll let a bike shop install the second one. I'm still waiting for my order to show up here in California.
JazJon

Postby djyemi on Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:13 am

Hi...well, 2 tubes now... and both have ruptured in less than a week, after folllowing the exact instructions on the video, as well as buying a bike tyre repair kit from Evans.Still no joy, A Bikes costing me a fortune to run now..looks like I am spending more of my time "carrying" the bike than "riding it" i.e. the bikes riding me.I might have to order a new tyre tube from Mayhem. One thing I noticed was that the tubes supplied would loose pressure so rapidly (compared to when I first had the original manufactured wheels).
djyemi

Postby Amuro Lee on Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:27 pm

Maybe you have torn the inner tube accidentally when you were inflating the tyres.

Here is a post which I've posted here showing how to inflate the tyres of an A-bike correctly.
viewtopic.php?t=623

Please be reminded that the tyres of an A-bike need to be inflated at least once a week to keep the correct tyre pressure.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amuro_Ray

Folding Forum - The Community Site for all Folding and Micro Bicycles
http://www.foldingforum.com/forum
Amuro Lee

Postby djyemi on Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:49 am

yeah, maybe I have...

Anyways, i've ordered another tube (Mayhem were kind enough to supply 1 instead of 2)..and I'll give it to a local shop to install install..will let you know how i get along in a week.
    djyemi

Postby kingcab on Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:16 am

Maybe you have torn the inner tube accidentally when you were inflating the tyres.Here is a post which I've posted here showing how to inflate the tyres of an A-bike correctly

We have two A-Bikes and used it only a few times. Now it happened for the second time that the inner tube is torn (one time at each bike). I was following exactly the instructions above. My opinion: This is a conceptional weakness of A-Bike, nothing else. And a question of quality, of course. :twisted:

We are thinking about throwing it away.
    kingcab

Postby kingcab on Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:29 pm

Another question concerning this topic:

After viewing the "help videos" I found out that the A-Bike chief designer needed about 9 minutes to change the inner tube in the first film. This film has about 1500 views (more than all the others) and that means that this is the BIGGEST problem for all A-Bike users.

That leads me to the question why they don´t use SOLID RUBBER /PU tires??
    It would make a big difference to these f...... 90 psi tires they are using now and which are completely away from the needs and a simple handling.

Someone posted this question already before but he didn´t get an answer from these great designers ... :evil: :evil:
    kingcab

Next

Return to General Discussion