About the A-Bike Where to Buy Reviews Forum A-BIKE CENTRAL
Home Page
Gallery & Videos Sinclair Bikes History Other Folding Bikes A-Bike News (Blog)

Help! Can't adjust the chain tension.

Chat about your A-Bike, post details of your exploits, ask advice from other owners, etc.

Moderators: Binch Shin, newcross, Amuro Lee

Help! Can't adjust the chain tension.

Postby Nemesis_Killer on Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:17 pm

I just received my a-bike plus today. It is so hard to pedal. I checked the tyres' air pressure and it was just fine. So I think maybe the chain is probably too tight. The manual says to adjust the chain tension, simply unscrew and rotate the bearing wheel from both sides. But somehow I can't make the bearings rotating. All I did was unscrew the big red screw in the middle and tried to rotate the bearing toward "L". Could anyone please help me on this?
Nemesis_Killer

Re: Help! Can't adjust the chain tension.

Postby rongood on Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:36 pm

CAREFUL !! Do not jump to adjusting the bearings to L until you've checked all possibilities. If you must adjust the bearings, you need first to open the crankcase, and for that i recommend you check out the videos at http://abikesupport.ning.com
This is a great but underused site that has lots of repair videos. In order to access the screws that secure the bearings to the crankcase housing, you need to open up the crankcase and lift out the rear wheel. Then be careful unscrewing the tiny screws, as they can get damaged in the process. Be sure to set both sides the same. However, I would not be confident that bearing tension is the problem.
Did you buy the bike from Mayhem? If so, you should try contacting their support by phone. You can also email at support.a-bike.co.uk, but calling may be quicker.

Look to see if the chain is stuck or gets stuck between the wheel and the housing when you pedal. Is there any damage to the tire from the chain? See other posts about chain problems and rear wheel problems. Look at my other posts, also check this post about recent chain problems:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1344
rongood

Return to General Discussion