About the A-Bike Where to Buy Reviews Forum A-BIKE CENTRAL
Home Page
Gallery & Videos Sinclair Bikes History Other Folding Bikes A-Bike News (Blog)

Problems for New A-Bike riders

Chat about your A-Bike, post details of your exploits, ask advice from other owners, etc.

Moderators: Binch Shin, newcross, Amuro Lee

Problems for New A-Bike riders

Postby Jellyfish on Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:06 pm

My girlfriend encountered several problems when she first set off on her A-bike.

Firstly there was a steering problem. She was zig-zagging across the bicycle lane, and found it difficult to cycle in a straight line.

Secondly she had major problems with cycling - she could not get enough power to go up even the slightest incline.

Thirdly, the bicycle handles ice very badly. Once she hit a patch she was off her A-bike - luckily it was not in the road. But this incident, plus the above have made her feel that she wants to return her A-bike. Can anyone persuade her not to? I would like to hear from those who might suggest how she can overcome the first problems - I mean it seems more than a matter of air pressure. I also want to know if in the road tests they had everyday riders - ones likely to use it on short trips - not fitness fanatics or Ironmen? I by the way like the concept - but remain to be persuaded.

:?
Jellyfish

Re: Problems for New A-Bike riders

Postby jojo351 on Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:29 pm

still your blue imitation?
jojo351

Postby Amuro Lee on Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:01 pm

Hi Jellyfish,

I think everyone has to take some time to get used to the handling of the A-bike.
http://www.a-bike.co.uk/store/qanda.php ... &a=a1&q=q1

The tyres have to be inflated up to the correct pressure, i.e. 90psi before ride and the saddle has to be adjusted as high as the feet can still reach the pedals to give the rider a full leg extension.
viewtopic.php?t=1343

Although I'm not an everyday rider of A-bike anymore due to job change, I think my past commuting experience is still useful to her.
viewtopic.php?t=180
viewtopic.php?t=256

Because there's no snow or ice here in Hong Kong in winter, I don't have any experience on handling the A-bike on snow or ice.
However, there're some experiences of other A-bikers here:
viewtopic.php?t=709
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amuro_Ray

Folding Forum - The Community Site for all Folding and Micro Bicycles
http://www.foldingforum.com/forum
Amuro Lee

Postby choice2099 on Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:11 am

new a-bike plus owner here.

i was thinking of selling mine after one ride, thankfully i checked here.

after seat adjustment and properly inflating to 90 psi (shipped from mayhem at 70 psi, oddly), its ridable. before it was barely faster than walking, ANY incline was serious peddling, and going over sidewalk crack was a pain. now this is perfect for short travel

one thing though, my back wheel makes a wierd click as i pedal, any idea what that could be? do i need chain tensioning?
choice2099

Return to General Discussion