About the A-Bike Where to Buy Reviews Forum A-BIKE CENTRAL
Home Page
Gallery & Videos Sinclair Bikes History Other Folding Bikes A-Bike News (Blog)

Frame stiffness, or lack thereof

Chat about your A-Bike, post details of your exploits, ask advice from other owners, etc.

Moderators: Binch Shin, newcross, Amuro Lee

Frame stiffness, or lack thereof

Postby spikepl on Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:18 pm

HI all,

I just received my A-bike Plus today. Nice piece of kit, but... I had an extremely wobbly ride, since the aft part of the frame supporting the seat simply twists slightly back and forth in relation to the front part. I am curious whether it is my particular copy which is defective, or perhaps the thing is flexible in general ? When I hold the front part of the top black bar (at the apex of the A), then I can wiggle the bar connecting the apex to the seat slightly. Any thoughts on this ? TIA.
spikepl

Re: Frame stiffness, or lack thereof

Postby spikepl on Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:23 pm

Fifty ppl have apparently read this post - is there really not a single one of you that can tell me, whether your A-Bike has a floppy derriere or not ?
spikepl

Postby Artefex on Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:29 pm

Hmm yes. This forum is strangely quiet most of the time.

Personally Ive not found the lack of frame stiffness to be a problem but mine does creak and flex a bit while cycling. I recently saw the Abike owned by Job, who also lives in amsterdam and posts on here sometimes, and he added some washers to the bolts on the frame pivot points. This improves the stiffness but may make the bike a bit more difficult to fold.
Artefex

Postby rongood on Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:36 am

for the wobbly seat: Check that the clamp at the base of the down-tube supporting the seat is clamped properly before riding. It should be a good tight clamp. You can adjust the tension of the clamp by turning the adjustment screw. Mine has required occasional tightening after many folds and unfolds. (Just a note of caution: those clamps for both the front and rear down-tubes are important for safety and must be clamped shut before riding.)
rongood

Return to General Discussion