About the A-Bike Where to Buy Reviews Forum A-BIKE CENTRAL
Home Page
Gallery & Videos Sinclair Bikes History Other Folding Bikes A-Bike News (Blog)

Repairing my A-Bike

Chat about your A-Bike, post details of your exploits, ask advice from other owners, etc.

Moderators: Binch Shin, newcross, Amuro Lee

Repairing my A-Bike

Postby dgotlib on Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:35 pm

The front post of my A-Bike is jammed. Will only extend about 1/4 of the way, and the front wheel is stuck at 90 degrees relative to the handlebars.

Any tips on how to repair this? The Mayhem people say this is because I tried to extend the front post prematurely, and the buttons which secure the front post when fully extended are out of alignment. They will repair but I have to pay shipping both ways. Shipping it to Mayhem from my home in Canada, and then back, is very expensive.

I'm not particularly handy with tools but I am not sure even how to approach this one.

Thanks

David

PS Notwithstanding the manual's exhortations about sequence in folding and unfolding the bike, having the bike fail completely and require repair if the sequence is not followed precisely seems like a serious design flaw, or at least one that will limit the bike's general acceptance.
dgotlib

Postby Binch Shin on Sat Mar 10, 2007 2:11 am

If your expression "the front wheel is stuck at 90 degrees relative to the handlebars" means that the direction of the front wheel's axle is perpendicular to the longitudinal direction of the handlebar, your A-bike has been destroyed. I saw various failures but your case is exactly new.

Please kindly explain again or send me a photo by mail.
I hope to help you.
My mail address is dynafeel@lycos.co.kr

Binch
Bicycles are Human Amplifiers - Mark Sanders -
Bintz's google profile(Buzz)
Binch Shin

A-bike -- repaired (!)

Postby dgotlib on Sat Mar 10, 2007 2:46 am

Binch Shin wrote:If your expression "the front wheel is stuck at 90 degrees relative to the handlebars" means that the direction of the front wheel's axle is perpendicular to the longitudinal direction of the handlebar, your A-bike has been destroyed. I saw various failures but your case is exactly new.

That is what I meant, though there was about 20 degrees of give either way.
After reading through the posts on this site (very informative)
I decided to try to open up the front assembly,
and something snapped back into place,
and the thing works ok now.
The salesperson on the Mayhem line had suggested that I had twisted the brake cable around the lower buttons that snap out during expansion of the bike, or that those buttons were out of position.
Rides OK, brakes OK.

Thanks for your help, Binch.

I am a newbie where collapsing bikes are concerned,
and while I love the bike and enjoy riding it
these past two days were an awful experience
it is hard to recommend a device where, if you do not follow the instructions precisely to both open and close, you can break the machine.
(I appreciate about design tradeoffs, but one also needs to engineer for the human factor)

David
dgotlib

Re: A-bike -- repaired (!)

Postby Amuro Lee on Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:25 pm

dgotlib wrote:That is what I meant, though there was about 20 degrees of give either way.
After reading through the posts on this site (very informative)
I decided to try to open up the front assembly,
and something snapped back into place,
and the thing works ok now.
The salesperson on the Mayhem line had suggested that I had twisted the brake cable around the lower buttons that snap out during expansion of the bike, or that those buttons were out of position.
Rides OK, brakes OK.

Thanks for your help, Binch.

I am a newbie where collapsing bikes are concerned,
and while I love the bike and enjoy riding it
these past two days were an awful experience
it is hard to recommend a device where, if you do not follow the instructions precisely to both open and close, you can break the machine.
(I appreciate about design tradeoffs, but one also needs to engineer for the human factor)

David

I'm happy to see that you have solved the problem already. :)

Amuro
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amuro_Ray

Folding Forum - The Community Site for all Folding and Micro Bicycles
http://www.foldingforum.com/forum
Amuro Lee

Re: Repairing my A-Bike

Postby beingv on Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:10 pm

I have a similar problem with my A-bike. The rear telescoping pole gets stuck. I've figured out that one of the buttons get caught on the chain while trying to pull the pole up. I can't figure out how to fix this. Whenever I fold the bike I have to push the poles all the way down so they seat will fold, but this causes the button to catch on the chain. The only way for me to get the pole back out is to use a knife to push the button in from underneath the chain.

Anyone have any ideas on how to prevent this problem?
beingv

Re: Repairing my A-Bike

Postby Guest on Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:52 am

Hello,
I've just bought my dream little a-bike. I have same problem as beingv: rear telescope is stucked because of interaction between black button and chain.
I'm sure solution is obvious, but can anyone help solving this problem.

Return to General Discussion