About the A-Bike Where to Buy Reviews Forum A-BIKE CENTRAL
Home Page
Gallery & Videos Sinclair Bikes History Other Folding Bikes A-Bike News (Blog)

For Canadian A-bike fans is this real???

Chat about your A-Bike, post details of your exploits, ask advice from other owners, etc.

Moderators: Binch Shin, newcross, Amuro Lee

For Canadian A-bike fans is this real???

Postby Ed on Tue May 17, 2011 3:09 pm

I saw this on the costco site and it was cheaper than any other place that would mail from outside of the country.

http://www.costco.ca/Browse/Product.asp ... 5*&topnav=

for $250 CDN and shipping and handling included within Canada this isn't a bad deal for the locals! only problem for anyone outside of Canada is that this is for canadian customers only and they do not ship outside of Canada, states right on their webpage.
Ed

Re: For Canadian A-bike fans is this real???

Postby Amuro Lee on Tue May 17, 2011 6:27 pm

The A-bike City in the photos on that website is genuine.

However, the price of that A-bike City is unusually low and very close to the price of A-bike Smart 850 selling in China. :roll:
http://www.a-bike.com.cn/2010/0806/317.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amuro_Ray

Folding Forum - The Community Site for all Folding and Micro Bicycles
http://www.foldingforum.com/forum
Amuro Lee

Postby Ed on Tue May 17, 2011 7:04 pm

maybe they're getting them from the same source for abike china?

costco.ca is a big retail store chain in Canada where you have to pay a $50 yearly membership to be able to purchase things here. Probably that's why they are able to price it such.
Ed

Postby Amuro Lee on Tue May 17, 2011 7:25 pm

Then, I think you can buy from them without worry.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amuro_Ray

Folding Forum - The Community Site for all Folding and Micro Bicycles
http://www.foldingforum.com/forum
Amuro Lee

Postby ReadyForThe80's on Tue May 24, 2011 5:36 pm

I found out about Costco selling the bike a couple of weeks ago. For some strange reason, they won't ship it to Montreal I asked Costco about this and was told that the vendor won't ship it here. I really can't understand why since it's not like I live in a rural area! I'm piratically right in the heart of downtown Montreal's smog! If I get it, I'll have no choice but to send it to my uncle in Ottawa and drive there to pick it up. I'm pretty pissed off about having to get it that way.
ReadyForThe80's

Postby Ed on Wed May 25, 2011 3:24 pm

Good stuff at least they will ship to Ottawa, When you do get it can you give us a review on the bike and how it rides? just got to remember the tires have to be at 90psi else it's going to be crap.
Ed

Postby ReadyForThe80's on Wed May 25, 2011 4:42 pm

Hi Ed,

Sure! I'll leave a review on it if I buy it. I haven't decided to buy it or not yet, but I'll have to soon. I plan on picking it up on Canada Day since the Ottawa museums are free then so my partner can check out the war one. It'll be a 2for1 trip since gas in Montreal is currently about 1.34 :( - I need to make the most of the trip!
ReadyForThe80's

Postby Ed on Thu May 26, 2011 1:08 pm

Not much different it's around 1.30 here in Toronto. Oh I think the bike kit comes with a nice pump for the bike you can get it up to 90psi and start riding right away in ottawa. They have a really nicely paved cycle trail there last time i've seen, I think it was called the ottawa river bike path, what better time to get a new bike to test out? Wife goes to museum and you try to pootle along with a circus bike! :)
Ed

Postby ReadyForThe80's on Thu May 26, 2011 3:26 pm

Wow, gas is expensive in T.O too? It was always so much cheaper in Ontario then quebec! Once I saw it cheaper by 12c! Must be HST? :(
Thanks for suggesting the bike path. I never knew they had one there. Also, it was nice to find out that the bike comes with a pump. The Costco site isn't too detailed and it was only through the first review that I found out it comes with a carry bag! - How strong is the carry bag? Does it come with a mini tool kit too? I have just joined this forum and haven't really check it out that much yet - do you have an A-Bike? How [un]comfortable is it to ride on Canadian-seasoned streets? I have a 7"-wheel solid-tire aluminum kick scooter and I wonder how the ride compares to the bike's (considering the pneumatic tires and plus my butt and knees will be the ones feeling all the sidewalk bumps as opposed to my feet feeling them on the scooter).
Hehee, I'm actually a woman. It's my man that will go to the museums (I'll wait outside with my German Shepherd whom I refuse to leave at home for so many hours. He and I will check out the new bike while the man's in the museum). :)
ReadyForThe80's

Postby Ed on Thu May 26, 2011 7:10 pm

Oh sorry just like you I haven't bought it yet because i'd have to clear this with the wife first (since we have 4 bikes already) but I only knew that it came with a pump and carry bag from that very same review posted here by Amuro from a hong kong site. Time will tell when I get my hands on these toy bikes, it's great to leave it in the car and go for a ride without any preparation because you always have it on you.
Ed

Postby ReadyForThe80's on Mon May 30, 2011 12:49 am

4 bikes between two people isn't much - as long as they're different (that's how I justify each new addition to my collection of 'personal transport modes' - 2 kick scooters, one cambering scooter, one folding bike and one dual suspension bike, one mini skateboard and one shared cruiser bike between my man and I).
I can wait to hear your thoughts on the bike if you get it! :D
Good luck getting clearance, Ed!
ReadyForThe80's

Postby de1701 on Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:40 pm

Photo on 2011-06-17 at 14.38.jpg
back of post
Photo on 2011-06-17 at 14.38.jpg (73.39 KiB) Viewed 48924 times
Ok,,,,, saw the flurry of postings so I went online and bought one..... costco will return and even cover shipping.

Arrived in two days (warehouse was in Montreal so the person who said it couldn't be shipped to Montreal, maybe you mis-typed the postal code?)

Bike went together very easily.... having first watch the youtube video a couple of times. Bike fits me fine but I'm finding the steering a little twitchy. On the official site, its says this is to be expected.

Now IS IT REAL???

It seems to be pretty solidly made..... there's the printing on the back of the steering post...
EN 14764:2005
Manufactured by
MAYHEM UK LtD. under licence by
Sinclair Research

On the side is the website http://www.abikecity.com which just goes to a godaddy holding page and the whois lookup reveals the registrant is hiding behind domains by proxy which is suspicious.

Looking under the cross bar there is an engraved serial number which is good but no batch number... not so good.

I've sent all these details to the sinclair research site... but maybe I'll forward to http://www.a-bike.co.uk so I'll keep you posted... I'll also head out for a reasonably long ride and make sure the pedals don't come off.

ttfn
de1701

Postby ReadyForThe80's on Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:17 pm

If the bikes are shipped from Montreal, then I really can't understand Costco >:\! I have just tried to see if it can be shipped to Montreal and it still won't go through. I tried my two Montreal postal codes (the correct ones since I haven't moved and had ordered from the site a couple of times already) and it still won't go through. Try it for yourself if you can't believe such strangeness - H2V 1V3 (make up an address for Bernard Street) and H1S 1J9 (Jean-Talon Street)- about 9km apart and both less than 40 minutes from downtown. It must be a glitch. I called Costco's customer service and the representative confirmed that it cannot be shipped to me because of the vendor who 'doesn't go to my area'(?) Maybe it's some stupid Montreal law against such a type of vehicle? I can only guess!
ReadyForThe80's

Postby Ed on Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:36 pm

Wow it's been awhile since I last game here.

I was wondering if de1701 every got back to here and posted his findings on whether it is real or not? and how was the ride on the canadian trails.
Ed

Postby phil1 on Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:18 pm

I bought one from someone who bought it somewhere near Montreal (it's still new though) First time i try it for real in the street I get a flat tire!! I'm about 190 pounds, it says 187 pounds on it.
It sucks, hehe! I can't repair it, the tire is too tight...
phil1

Return to General Discussion