About the A-Bike Where to Buy Reviews Forum A-BIKE CENTRAL
Home Page
Gallery & Videos Sinclair Bikes History Other Folding Bikes A-Bike News (Blog)

Security warning and improvement request to design team

Chat about your A-Bike, post details of your exploits, ask advice from other owners, etc.

Moderators: Binch Shin, newcross, Amuro Lee

Security warning and improvement request to design team

Postby Crislobin on Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:27 am

Hi.

As introduction, I am using the A-Bike for 3 years now. Not the original, which is expensive for us in Southamerica. The A-Bike is still the smallest usable foldable bicycle that I know; and the price, if manufactured in masses is very low, due to the materials used. It is perfect to carry it in the crowded chilean underground transport system.

Now to the problem. Material fatigue is normal, but this one, showed up suddenly, with a high risk to suffer a heavy injury. The fortune was at my side, I had a backpack full of clothing, it was very warm in the afternoon.

I recommend to the A-Bike users, after one ot two years of use, to check carefully the pile that failed. Picture attached.

I recommend to the designers of the A-Bike, to increase the material strength of the top of the pile and tensor to the seat tube, at least 3 times.

(I suggested in a post before, to make the main gear container body of metal instead of plastic)

I also recommend to long term A-Bike holders, to use a security ribbon as shown in the attached picture, in case of doubt of the condition of the rupture zone.

Regards

Cris from Chile
Attachments
fracture1.jpg
fracture1.jpg (68.74 KiB) Viewed 18212 times
security-ribbon.jpg
security-ribbon.jpg (133.23 KiB) Viewed 18246 times
rupture.jpg
rupture.jpg (67.7 KiB) Viewed 18306 times
Last edited by Crislobin on Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crislobin

Re: Security warning and improvement request to design team

Postby Stevbike on Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:49 pm

I see from the pictures that it is a copy version. The original may use better grade fastners but it is good to let others know about this problem. Given how the bike is put together one should be aware of the lack of support on any copy version of the bike design.

The original design hopefully will support the people that have bought there versions and give updates on any possible design problems.

I just noted the broken frame section. This will not be problem that can not be fixed due to the lack support from the companies that make copy versions of the bike.
Last edited by Stevbike on Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stevbike

Postby Stevbike on Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:09 pm

I looked at my A-bike copy and looked at how the fastners work. If you don't mind giving up a bit of the seat folding you can look up a company that deals with aviation grade fastners. They should have the strength needed hold the bike frame is place. You will need to look into if they has the same sized fastners to place what is broken now. It would be a good idea to check out and replace any other fastners on the frame as well. The bottom centre section is one area I would not want to break while riding!! No safety strap would work on that area of the bike.

As to the frame material itself, that one of the reasons for the bikes light weight. It would cost more to look into other light weight metals get te same weight as the bike has now.
Last edited by Stevbike on Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stevbike

Postby Stevbike on Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:35 pm

Try looking at aviation grade fasteners to replace the damaged ones. It may affect how the bike folds up but you can ride it at least. As to the sizing, see if they have the same sized fasteners as he ones used on the bike or something close. You may what to look at the other fasteners as well. The bottom folding brace is one item I would do what to fail!! A safety strap would not work on that erea of the bike frame.
Stevbike

Postby Stevbike on Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:50 pm

I saw the broken section and agree that the use of a strong light alloy metal would be better if it is built right. Even a metal part will fail if made wrong. Since this a copy version of the bike, hopefully original has a better made. You can see if you can buy the part from the original company to replace it but I think that my not be the case.

I just showcases another reason to stay with the original bike, not a copy. I am glad that you are OK!
Stevbike

Return to General Discussion