About the A-Bike Where to Buy Reviews Forum A-BIKE CENTRAL
Home Page
Gallery & Videos Sinclair Bikes History Other Folding Bikes A-Bike News (Blog)

kick n go remade

Any conversations, not related to A-Bike at all.

Moderators: Binch Shin, newcross, Amuro Lee

kick n go remade

Postby kenwshmt2 on Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:36 pm

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2994653

and the annoying flash based company site that doesn't provide much information, but the videos are informative.

http://www.pulsekickngo.com/Home.aspx

'The Pulse Kick 'N Go ain't your daddy's scooter. Reengineered from the original Kick 'N Go scooters from the 1970s, the Pulse Kick 'N Go offers a fast, smooth ride with new high-tech design. Unlike traditional scooters that require constant pushing off the ground, the Pulse Kick 'N Go uses a unique chain and kick pedal self-propulsion system, allowing the rider to achieve blazing speed and tight maneuverability while maintaining a balanced stance on the deck. Whether you're cruising the neighborhood or racing your friends, the Pulse Kick 'N Go is fun unplugged.'

$115 at toys-r-us .. I hadn't had a chance to look at one yet.
kenwshmt2

Postby Weakling on Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:06 pm

Even I would feel tempted to buy one or even two. If one couple them together one could get a safer version in winter and decouple them for summer when street less slippery and they take my weight too it seems?

I wonder if they are hard to keep balance on. We have Toys'RUs here in Sweden too but not sure if they have it. I make a phone call to find out.

Sadly they had only a sub of the whole Toyurus sortiment. So no luck for me. :)
Weakling

Postby kenwshmt2 on Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:00 pm

I use small battery scooters for getting to work and back, but they're limited to 4 miles.

This would have a longer range, but I cant get any information on how much they weigh, how big they are or what they are rated to.

It seems the company site is only interested in marketing to 12 year olds, and ones that wouldn't think of such questions.
kenwshmt2

Postby Weakling on Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:18 pm

Yes it is sad that every home page have flash nowadays.

I try to find more info on it. But you have already read it I know

I remember me found something else some week ago. but where?

http://www.pulsekickngo.com/Product_Detail.aspx?Id=829

• Ultra fine traction stripe on an ultra stiff, high tensile steel punch deck
• Single-action, dual sided, “T”-bar propulsion pedal
• Unique Pulse XT propulsion powerplant
• Open class, torque limiting box frame construction
• Powerplant protection lapper (grind plate) with sub-frame brace

Laser tight control
• Alloy, two-finger brake lever
• Dual-density control grips
• High-powered, full-sweep band brake system
• Quick-release, spring-loaded kickstand
• Internal downtube folding mechanism

Dynamic Strength
• Oversized, high tensile steel blade forks
• Braided, non-stretch steel power brake line
• Stationary, single-piece aero downtube with lateral torsion limit
• Upgradeable BSB ABEC 7 precision speed bearings
• 92A urethane “street racing” wheels with reinforced nylon hubs

Weakling

Postby kenwshmt2 on Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:33 pm

http://www.scooteringusa.com/2008/02/kick_n_go_scooter_makes_high_t.htm

This modern incarnation of a classic racing machine offers a markedly faster and smoother ride; new high-tech gearing; and contemporary design features including a high performance Chromoly steel frame, band braking system and state of the art high speed polyurethane wheels. The Pulse Kick 'N Go is currently available for presale at http://www.Toysrus.com.
kenwshmt2

Postby Weakling on Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:06 pm

Looks very promising. The wheels are too slippery though on asphalt with leaves in fall autum? I mean when winter time approaches the trees let their leaves fall and streets become very slippery. Trains even fail to work surprisingly which shows who bad it is.

But I have same kind of wheels on my Rollator. 8" and they look a bit like the wheels on the kick and go.
Weakling

Postby kenwshmt2 on Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:46 am

I got one.

Its slightly heavier than the a-bike.

It has negligible acceleration; it takes about 50 feet to get to 10 mph, and it doesn't seem to be designed to go any faster than that.
Where you could force an a-bike into a burst of speed, this seems pretty much incapable of that.
When you are at its top speed, it is easy to maintain it.

It doesn't fold in any meaningful way, though the handlebar comes apart enough that it could fit into a locker.

It has no hill climbing capability.

Its quite lite for a scooter its size, and it has good construction.

It is a workout.
Owning one of these and using it regularly will get you buns of steel, more so than just biking would.
I am out of shape, and I had to switch legs every few minutes.
It is a machine that requires endurance.

I like it, even though mine has a faint scraping in the back wheel brake assembly, I am hoping that will wear out in time.

People will look at you just as strangely as when you are on an a-bike.
kenwshmt2

Postby Weakling on Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:05 pm

Wow,

I envy you. How does it handle itself. I asked an A-bike owner here in Sweden to tell the difference between keeping balance on a standard bike and an A-bike and he said that a-bike has a bit different handling. not so much different, one learn it quickly.

I have only tested two different kick-bikes with two wheels.

one named x-104 and I didn't like how that one handled itself. I felt a bit insecure using it. Too easy to get out of course and into heavy traffic or turning into other side walk users. I also tested a kids kick-bike which was too small for me and I was doing wheelies all the time on that one. Very easy to fall backward.

How does this one feel from this point of view?

And regarding the speed and what muscle power it take to maintaine it.

I have three different four-wheel kickbikes for winter usage. They all are very different in how they handle themselves. The best one is magnitudes better than the other two. the worst is very insecure to use if you have to use only one hand and use the other hand to take out your mobile phone to answer a call. It easily start to wobble if you use only one hand.

But if we talk muscle power. The very heavy kickbikes take maybe two times the energy to go same speed as my MicroBike or my SmartBike folders. If I go some 500 meters on the pedal powered bikes then my heart beat is still in the low level while if I keep that speed on the four wheel kickbikes then I have to shift foot and kick a lot and my heart beat gets up and my breath start to change and I start to sweat. So it takes much more effort.

Could you compare if you would only push a similar kick bike only stamping the ground and never the lever behind you would stamping the ground take more effort then doing the lever pumping?

What would it feel like if the method to move was like a Crosstrainer?
See my picture below

To stamp on the ground with the foot is not an ideal way to move forward. in winter when it is snow and ice the foot easily slip and at summer the very stamp hit the knee much harder than to pedal a bike. To take slopes is more difficult too. When you pedal you take turns left right left right while if you kick it is left left left change foot and right kick right kick right kick change foot.

I've tested to sit on the microbike and pretend it to have no pedals on it. And then take turns having my feet on the ground and pushing left right left right and that is much harder than to pedal at same speed and it hurt my manly parts too. One need a very comfort saddle to do such things :)

So pedals is a good invention. Gears even better. Your new toy should have gears so you could pump at higher speed.

The band brake on my SmartBike is almost not there. Very bad brake. Hope yours is better.

Here another picture showing how it works out.

Weakling

Postby kenwshmt2 on Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:29 pm

nevermind, its geared to high, I cant accellerate fast enough.

I'm returning it.
kenwshmt2

Postby Weakling on Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:52 am

I know so little about gearing. Is it geared too high if one have to kick or pedal very fast and still go very slow or is it the opposite. Geared too high if every revolution or kicking takes you superfast forward?

A-bike is geared so you have to keep a 120 revolution per minute or so and still your under 30 kmter per hour. Is that low or high?

Carryme is geared so you easily get fast doing low rev per minute?

Strida in the middle?

I have a 7 speed shimano hub gear now and if I put it on 7 then I could go maybe 40 kmter per hour but if I put it on 1 or first gear? then I would go 5 kmtr per hour? First gear is for high steeped hills?

so is that kick and go like setting it on First gear?

Pardon me so noob on gears. Only had single gear until one year back
Weakling

kick n go remade

Postby Pulse on Wed May 07, 2008 12:32 am

Hey guys,

I was just reading through your thread and wanted to address a few of your questions/comments.

First, I think you guys nailed it: our target demographic is 8-14 year olds. This is really in response to what the retailers decision to market to them. Also, most of the scooter riders we see on the streets fall into that age range. We have already developed two other models, one for adults and one for even smaller kids. We are also working to improve the existing gearing, and we will probably take that even further.....I'll leave that one to your imagination.

The overall weight is also a concern of ours, but we aim to make future Pulse Kick 'N Go's lighter without sacrificing the durability. We feel that's a pretty important factor; most scooters on the market are flimsy and seem like they'll break. Our focus on durability adds to the overall weight, and that is an area in which we'd like to fine tune.

Weakling, you bring up a valid point about wheel traction. Right now we are considering aftermarket wheels with traction, whether for slicker streets or for off-road riding. But we need to make sure they maintain road traction, and that the traction doesn't wear out too quickly....and we need to make them affordable to you. Oh yeah, there's also the legal crap you have to deal with.

Anyway, I'm glad you liked what you've seen so far, and if you have any other specific stuff you want to know, feel free to drop me an email at pulse@pulsekickngo.com

Brian
Pulse

Postby Weakling on Wed May 07, 2008 8:32 am

Pulse, thanks for the info and I agree about the target, to survive you need to find the niche for your product.

Old timers like me are very few to buy. It is seen as childish to use one
at my age 60+

Xootr have several for adults and here in Sweden teh oldest I've seen using that one was about 25 years old. And he maybe just was nostalgic that day.

Several years later and have seen neither him not anybody else so the market is nil or zero here in Sweden.

I visited a big Sport Shop locally and they have thousands of bike and not a single kickbike apart from the ulta cheap chinese ones that are for small kids like 5 to 7 or so.

But they had several Inlines so them still have buyers.

Your product maybe sell in USA but I guess Europe is too small market.

Thanks for caring about giving info on our forum. It is mainly for A-bike but it is always interesting to look at other products too.
Weakling

Return to Off Topic Chat