About the A-Bike Where to Buy Reviews Forum A-BIKE CENTRAL
Home Page
Gallery & Videos Sinclair Bikes History Other Folding Bikes A-Bike News (Blog)

Some news about A-bike mark II

Chat about your A-Bike, post details of your exploits, ask advice from other owners, etc.

Moderators: Binch Shin, newcross, Amuro Lee

Postby Weakling on Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:59 pm

Upgrade kid would be welcomed here in Sweden too. :)
Weakling

Postby abiker on Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:49 pm

appears that they have changed the name of the a-bike from mark II to Abike plus !!! even the new feature description have been changed

http://www.a-bike.co.uk/store/home.php

"A-bike Plus will be arriving later this Spring" the flash text says.

(Weakling edited in the link and quote)
abiker

Postby Amuro Lee on Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:02 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amuro_Ray

Folding Forum - The Community Site for all Folding and Micro Bicycles
http://www.foldingforum.com/forum
Amuro Lee

Postby kenwshmt2 on Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:38 am

A 'front wheel wont roll if the forward lock clasp is open' would be nice..
I'm eventually going to need surgery to repair my over the handle bar adventure.
:?
kenwshmt2

Postby Weakling on Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:59 pm

Sad to hear about needing such operation, medical care.
A kind of mechanical warning if things are not set the proper way
for to warn the driver that one need to attend to the unfolding.

Is it possible to make such in an easy way?
Weakling

Postby kenwshmt2 on Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:40 pm

Is it possible to make such in an easy way?

A 2 part bell or rattle would be a start.
something that is in the path of the clasp arm, so it rings when its open, but compressed from the end of the lever so it couldn't ring when its closed.

It wouldn't be difficult to construct, a little cat toy jingle bell at the right place on the pipe would be enough.

Yellow and red 'caution' only visible when its open would be helpful.
kenwshmt2

Postby Weakling on Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:40 pm

You could tell them so they at least could make a kind of upgrade kit or something.

Your bad experience should be a warning to others to look out for such things happening.

I had an incident with my SmartBike recently. Happily I saw it and could stop before me went into a free fall. The Quick Release was set too lose so the steering didn't steer the wheel. But it was easy to tighten and now I check it every time I use the bike.

My Microbike had an incident too. It started to fold itself while me was riding it. But I managed to click it in locked position with a fast reaction.

Since then it has not happen but it was a scary experience.
Weakling

Postby JazJon on Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:04 am

Hey everyone, I just discovered the A-Bike after a random google search for a small bike. This looks like the perfect bike for me! After carefully reading all the feedback on this site, I figured it was worth waiting for the plus version to arrive. I hope it comes out soon! (can hardly wait) I was one click away from ordering the 1'st gen one from a 3rd party site, but held back just in time.

I live down town san francisco, so I plan to zip down to the gym, whole foods or the mall several blocks away from me etc. Lucky for me I live on a flatter side of the city. (no hills to the places I'd go short distance via bike to)

I look forward to reviewing my new bike! I'll be sure to post videos and pix.
JazJon

Postby JazJon on Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:49 am

Does anyone have a best guess when the A-Bike Plus will be available? I'm looking for a ball park figure. (more or less than 1 month away?)
JazJon

Postby newcross on Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:24 pm

JazJon wrote:Does anyone have a best guess when the A-Bike Plus will be available? I'm looking for a ball park figure. (more or less than 1 month away?)

According to somebody wrote in Sell/trade section of this forum, official is saying Plus will be out in June, if we get lucky.

I can relate to your anticipation!!

Maybe you can buy secondhand genuine A-bike from eBay cheaply for time being?
newcross

Response from A-Bike

Postby JazJon on Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:33 pm

response..........

The new A-bike plus is expected in July 08 but we are completely sold out of the original A-bike at the moment and I don’t know of any other company with stock. If you do find one please check the authenticity of the A-bike before buying it as there are counterfeit copies out there and, apart from being illegal, they are potentially dangerous. One surefire way of checking the authenticity of the A-bike is to check the serial number with us (this can be found on the underside of the cross-piece).

Best regards
hmmm I dont want to wait until July. I'll have to make do with the first gen model and upgrade later. I cant find any second hand ones for sale on ebay. the ebay ones I see right now all look to be china knock-offs.

Is this retro36 company trustworthy to sell authentic A-Bikes?

http://abikecentral.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1013
www.retro36.co.uk
http://www.retro36.co.uk/index.php?main ... cts_id=323

If it's authentic I'll order it from above. I'm tempted to keep the old one as a secondary bike for friends that want to join me on a bike ride. I've been reading about the comfort seat upgrades but I'm not sure if it's worth the add weight and fold delay.
JazJon

Postby kenwshmt2 on Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:50 pm

san francisco eh?

The one thing needing fixing is what you need to wait for, the free wheel.. it breaks under strain, mostly from hills.
kenwshmt2

Postby JazJon on Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:53 pm

kenwshmt2 wrote:san francisco eh?

The one thing needing fixing is what you need to wait for, the free wheel.. it breaks under strain, mostly from hills.

Ok, that's a good point. The area of SF I'm in is flat, but not perfectly flat. 3 Months is a long time to wait thogh, oh well. :-/

Non of the other bikes out there are compact enough. I like how light and easy this thing is. I could hang it in coat check if I went out even. I'll keep waiting thanks!
JazJon

Postby Garry on Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:02 pm

www.retro36.co.uk looks quite respectable to me, however it does state "0 units in stock" :(
Garry
Site Admin

Postby JazJon on Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:54 pm

Garry wrote:www.retro36.co.uk looks quite respectable to me, however it does state "0 units in stock" :(

Ok I couldnt wait until July for the Plus so I went for it! I placed an order last night. It looks like I might have gotten the very last one!

I'm still going to order the new plus when it's out. I'll eithr keep this as a spare for a friend to ride with me, or sell it later down the road.

The note on Retro 36 said they dont ship the a-bike internationally but he did for me for an added shipping charge. I think it's worth the premium though since I really want one pretty bad.
JazJon

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion