About the A-Bike Where to Buy Reviews Forum A-BIKE CENTRAL
Home Page
Gallery & Videos Sinclair Bikes History Other Folding Bikes A-Bike News (Blog)

new inner-tube replacement tools

Chat about your A-Bike, post details of your exploits, ask advice from other owners, etc.

Moderators: Binch Shin, newcross, Amuro Lee

new inner-tube replacement tools

Postby rongood on Sun May 03, 2009 6:44 pm

As anyone who has had to change the inner-tube on an A-bike wheel knows, it can take hours to accomplish. I finally found two tools that work superbly and reduce the frustration to tolerable:
1) Crank Brothers Speed Lever
2) Kool-Stop Tire Bead Jack
(they are both listed at Amazon.com, and are available at Niagara Cycle Works)
First watch the video for inner-tube replacement at http://abikesupport.ning.com/
Now using the new tools to aid you, take out the inner -tube using 2 ordinary tyre levers, and one Crank Brothers Speed Lever. Once you get both the ordinary levers in place under the bead of the tyre (still quite a bit of work), work to get enough space to get the Speed Lever in alongside one of the other levers. Now it becomes easier, using the Speed Lever, to push the Speed Lever round and round lifting out the bead as you go.
But the really remarkable time saver is the Kool-Stop Tire Bead Jack. It is only for putting the tyre bead back on the wheel after putting the new inner-tube in place. It is hard to describe, but it allows you to leverage from the other side of wheel while pulling the bead onto the wheel. In the past, I have spent about two hours just working my hands to the bone to get the bead back over the wheel rim. This time it took about five minutes. WOW.
rongood

Return to General Discussion