About the A-Bike Where to Buy Reviews Forum A-BIKE CENTRAL
Home Page
Gallery & Videos Sinclair Bikes History Other Folding Bikes A-Bike News (Blog)

Solid rubber tyres for A-bike

Chat about your A-Bike, post details of your exploits, ask advice from other owners, etc.

Moderators: Binch Shin, newcross, Amuro Lee

Postby newcross on Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:05 am

The chief designer mentioned the front part of the bike (the joint of GF Polymaid and Metal tube) was destroyed during a test with solid tyre. There may be more damage found in the test, but we didn't get into detail much. He just told us,

"Please stop them."

Of course the choice is still up to us and I also do some mods to my A-bike which upset the designer in certain extend, but we should be aware of the risk of mods. and think how to avoid possible accidents.

I'm happy with normal tyres at the moment. :D
newcross

Postby kenwshmt2 on Sun Aug 05, 2007 1:12 pm

has anyone tried pre 'sliming' the tire?

http://www.slime.com/product.php?product=ST-f1

"SLIME can be installed as a pre treatment before a puncture occurs(low speed only). SLIME can also be used to repair a flat tire or a slow leak - simply remove the valve core from your tire, inject SLIME, reinflate and rotate it. IT'S THAT EASY!!"
kenwshmt2

Postby jkevinwolfe on Sun Aug 05, 2007 2:48 pm

Ken,

I saw this at WalMart but haven't tried it. I'm not sure how large of a dose would be needed with those smalle tyres. Not much probably.

Kevin
jkevinwolfe

Solid tyre fitted as standard on the A-Bicycle copy?

Postby Mucklegipe on Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:42 pm

On closer examination of my A-Bicycle copy I find it is fitted with these or similar solid tyres (no tyre valve). I have not had the chance to take the bike out for a run as yet as I have had it less than 24hrs at time of writing, it gets very dark quickly and not much hours anyway at this time of year with this weather, overcast and wet. :oops:

This may explain why some report frame failure on this version of the bike. I also wonder if the grip given by this type of tyre is as good as the proper tyre. However I got the Bike for £28 including P&P so will not be too out of pocket if it does fail.

Any one else with a copy type bike, and if so solid or pneumatic fitted to it?

Mucklegipe
Glass half full or half empty?

What! You have a glass?
Mucklegipe

Postby lozisung on Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:02 pm

Solid rubber tyres will probably add extra stress on the rest of the components.

However, I have found an alternative tyre, which is puncture resistant, acts the same as a pneumatic tyre as it uses a polyurethane foam-like matrix and is made using green processes: Greentyre Cub

As they are only £15 each, these are well worth a try and are available in 2 rim sizes, 16/17mm or 23/25mm. Does anyone know which is correct for the A-Bike wheel?

This is the Manufacturer's linkage: Greentyre.co.uk
lozisung

Filling tyre with water. How about tyre mouse?

Postby Mucklegipe on Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:49 pm

kenwshmt2 wrote:Has anyone tried filling them with water or something denser but not solid?

I think this would make the tyre act like a solid one, as air can be compressed and takes some of the 'sting' out of the bumps, water would do away with that flexibility.

One thing though and something that is used by the Dakar rally people is 'mouse' in their tyres. This is a foam substance that fills their tyres but has sufficient air trapped in it to not be solid, this avoids the problem of punctures without causing the tyre becoming solid. I wonder how that would work? :idea:

Mucklegipe.
Glass half full or half empty?

What! You have a glass?
Mucklegipe

Postby Amuro Lee on Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:23 pm

kenwshmt2 wrote:Has anyone tried filling them with water or something denser but not solid?

Yes, someone in Japan has done that.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4o_ws_SuP8
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amuro_Ray

Folding Forum - The Community Site for all Folding and Micro Bicycles
http://www.foldingforum.com/forum
Amuro Lee

Slime

Postby Sherlock Holmes on Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:26 pm

I recently have injected the green slime into my tires as a precautionary measure. I have not used it long enough to know whether or not it works, but so far everything is going well.

The only real drawbacks are that the tires are a little heavier and when you attach the air-pump to the valves, sometimes little green droplets of slime come out on the valves. Both of these things are minor, though, and more than worth it for the little peace of mind I receive. [/quote]
Sherlock Holmes

Re: Solid rubber tyres for A-bike

Postby kingcab on Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:58 am

Here is a thread talking about installing solid rubber tyres

Hi Amuro,
thank you for your help.

Sounds very interesting but it is a pity
that this thread is not ending satisfactory.
It remains completely unclear why the designer is talking about damages:
Compared to these 90 psi tyres solid rubber tyres should make no big difference.

And there is not enough feedback from the other users of solid rubber tyres or
something else. :cry:
kingcab

Postby Crislobi on Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:24 pm

Hi.

From far away in Southamerica. 4 days ago a adquired a new asian copy of the originaI a-bike. Had some air in the wheels.

I tried a ride, and was shoked! The bike gave me the impression that it was fixed to the ground, a big disappointment! Then I checked all bearings, everything new and fine. Also the chains where OK.

I read again the technical data and discovered tha the tires require almost 90 PSI. That was the beginning of the second chapter in the tragedy. Lost the rear tube due to the hidden position of the valve.

No spares in far away Chile. So I went to the orthopedics and bought at first one solid 6" rubber tire for the rear wheel. Fits fine, but has some movement. Rear wheel gets a bit hot. So now, I require to glue it with some silicone for better fitting.

SO NOW MY SUGGESTIONS TO THE CREATORS, OF THIS THEORETICALLY NICE INVENTION:
PLS. USE MASSIVE RUBBER TIRES, AT LEAT ON THE REAR WHEEL.

I think, it is better to have problems later with the frame, than to throw away this nice invention at the beginning!!!
Crislobi

Postby Job on Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:28 am

The manual of the Abike Plus reads:
The tyres of the A-bike Plus contain a special gel that automatically seals any small holes so hopefully punctures will be minimal.

Indeed did I find some gooey droplets in the nozzle of my shockpump after pumping the tyre, so it's there allright.
Nice improvement, that will keep us biking instead of pumping!

Job
Job

Postby Amuro Lee on Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:32 pm

Here are pictures of a wheel with solid PU tyre used on lower-end models of A-bike Smart: AS530L and AS530S.

Image Image Image Image
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amuro_Ray

Folding Forum - The Community Site for all Folding and Micro Bicycles
http://www.foldingforum.com/forum
Amuro Lee

Previous

Return to General Discussion