About the A-Bike Where to Buy Reviews Forum A-BIKE CENTRAL
Home Page
Gallery & Videos Sinclair Bikes History Other Folding Bikes A-Bike News (Blog)

forum just for genuine a-bikes?

Chat about your A-Bike, post details of your exploits, ask advice from other owners, etc.

Moderators: Binch Shin, newcross, Amuro Lee

forum just for genuine a-bikes?

Postby bangkokbuddy on Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:07 pm

not wanting to cause any problems, I was wondering if this forum is just for geniune a-bikes? I just bought something called a "j-bike" which is about 2 inches bigger than a geniune a-bike.
bangkokbuddy.blogspot.com
siam-info.blogspot.com
bangkokbuddy

Postby Guest on Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:30 am

duh. I guess my question was really stupid. because nobody answered it. and the fact that my message is still here says it all.

intelligence was never my forte. but I am learning.

Postby Garry on Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:33 am

Welcome to the forum Bangkokbuddy!

We don't encourage purchase of fake A-Bikes, but you are certainly welcome here. Can you tell us more about the availability and prices of real and fake A-Bikes in Thailand?
Garry
Site Admin

Postby Weakling as Guest on Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:10 am

Thanks Garry for allowing comments on the competition.

It is fun to compare A-bike with Carryme from Pacific Cycles in Taiwan and all the other small folding bikes.

It shows how well thought out the folding mechanism is. the sad compromised are A-bike's extremely small wheels and not being good at handling us over 85Kgram.

But Carryme has that 85kg weight limit too.

I vote for allowing such postings in the off topic dep of the forum.
Adds to the value of the forum.
Weakling as Guest

Postby Tim on Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:55 am

I bought a J-bike in Thailand, I paid 3500 baht (about 68 baht per pound)for it from a shopping centre after bargining down from 3900 at stall promoting them, they were playing Sir Clive's promo CD and said the bike was made under license from Sir Clive??.

They sell 2 different sizes, small and large. They also sell a Blue model and a Red model. The blue one has solid wheels which obviously are puncture resitant.

I don,t like to buy copies but I needed the bike to get to work here. Its very usefull. I also get constant smiles and thumbs ups from the locals.

No idea if the size is any different or how thre ride quality would compare to a genuine A-bike?? Does anyone know the difference?

The standover height is quite high, I am 5'6 and its touching my family jewels. I can get correct pedal length also with the seat up high.

The seat is very uncomfortable and mass glutes are brused after about 2 hours on her yesterday.

Does anyone know the difference?

They look so similar from the pics.
Tim

Postby newcross on Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:11 pm

'J-bike' sounds interesting indeed. I wonder if the 2" difference is due to the metal tube (inner front/rear) length - that's how chinese made their A-bike type bike in so many sizes.

Riding the slightly bigger version of A-bike must feel less restricted I imagine. :roll:
newcross

Postby bangkokbuddy on Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:46 am

Tim wrote:I bought a J-bike in Thailand, I paid 3500 baht (about 68 baht per pound)for it from a shopping centre after bargining down from 3900 at stall promoting them, they were playing Sir Clive's promo CD and said the bike was made under license from Sir Clive??.

They sell 2 different sizes, small and large. They also sell a Blue model and a Red model. The blue one has solid wheels which obviously are puncture resitant.

I don,t like to buy copies but I needed the bike to get to work here. Its very usefull. I also get constant smiles and thumbs ups from the locals.

No idea if the size is any different or how thre ride quality would compare to a genuine A-bike?? Does anyone know the difference?

The standover height is quite high, I am 5'6 and its touching my family jewels. I can get correct pedal length also with the seat up high.

The seat is very uncomfortable and mass glutes are brused after about 2 hours on her yesterday.

Does anyone know the difference?

They look so similar from the pics.

hi tim:

just curious... how are you doing with your j-bike now? I haven't rode my mine much yet. but I plan on doing so once I get my seat upgraded. I found these inexpensive bike lights selling at pantip plaza for 150 baht. ..for those rides on the road at night. bangkok recently painted bike lanes on the sidewalks all over the city so I guess that means it's permitted to ride on the sidewalks now. maybe we can have an a-bike club in bangkok. what do you think?
bangkokbuddy.blogspot.com
siam-info.blogspot.com
bangkokbuddy

Postby Weakling on Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:44 am

I guess it would be not ethical to encourage people to buy fakes.
But it could be a good deed to tell how they behave and when they fail.

That way people would know that the fakes have shorter life span and
much more trouble very soon.

Here in Sweden we had at least two guys selling fakes and one of them was unlucky to buy the worst of them. It was barely usable according to my secret source. I failed to persuade him to borrow me one of the fakes to try it out. He realized me too heavy for the quality of the plastic between the seat and the part going to the A and steering. That one easily breaks. Even on the original they need to strengthen it I guess.

So reports on how fakes dold up to wear and tear or if they get useless fast
that could be good news for A-bike original I hope.

To encourage others to buy fakes me would not. :)

But I dearly hope the fakers build something much stronger than original
so they see the need in market for such a variety of the A-bike original.

Some of us need a A-bike XL Mega Strong.
Weakling

Return to General Discussion