About the A-Bike Where to Buy Reviews Forum A-BIKE CENTRAL
Home Page
Gallery & Videos Sinclair Bikes History Other Folding Bikes A-Bike News (Blog)

I'm a member of A-Bike Tribe!!!

Chat about your A-Bike, post details of your exploits, ask advice from other owners, etc.

Moderators: Binch Shin, newcross, Amuro Lee

I'm a member of A-Bike Tribe!!!

Postby Jon Laurence on Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:04 pm

Some days ago, I won a bid to get a real A-Bike on Yahoo Auctions at about US$93. In HK, some people buy expensive things they're not sure to use and sell them at low price. I was so lucky to get it.

The tires didn't have enough pressure after placed in their store room for a year. But I didn't manage to pump it. I asked people on the net what I should have done (Thanks to Mr Amuro Lee) and finally got it pumped. Though the valve of the rear tire really has some problem (bad shape, the metal tube).

I went to a 15 minute trial. Very exciting. I found I love it very much.
Then I got a special seat post from a friend and a 2nd handed saddle at about US$4.

It is Chinese New Year Day 3 today. Public holiday in HK. I got everything ready this morning. I mean my A-bike. It's only 12 degree Celsius.

I live in Tai Wo, the western edge of Tai Po (a town in HK). We live in 30 storey buildings and people park their bikes on the ground floor. (I always put my bikes indoor).

I went with my A-Bike with the changed saddle.
Some parts of the road was rough.

I went along Lam Chun River.

Got to the cycling path.

Got to a road junction to the shopping area. I went that way to have breakfast in the first trip. But this time I aimmed farther.

Finally I got to the Eastern edge of Tai Po. A public park. (Just less than 15 minutes from the West to the East. The urban of Tai Po is really small.)

Got home. The test with the seat post and saddle was succesful.

How does it look like when folded?

Can it still be put in the original bag?

Yes. 8)
Last edited by Jon Laurence on Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:01 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Jon Laurence

Postby Weakling on Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:18 pm

Getting it up to 80psi is hard. Happy that Amuro gave you tip on how to.

Excellent pictures. Thanks for sharing them with us.
Weakling

Postby Jon Laurence on Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:35 pm

Hi Weakling,

Sorry about the use of thread. Er... you know what? I've never used any other online forum something before. I just started to try recently. I tried one in HK. They don't use English much. I'm a native Chinese, not proficient enough in English. But in HK, our weird education hasn't trained me enough to type in Chinese... anyway, I found Lee (Moderator Amuro Lee) and this site. Seems to be a good place for me. :)

I was too careless about the manner of using the thread. But everything here is interesting to me. I didn't even know how to post an image here when I first tried to post one. Someone else in the HK forum told me to use something Photobucket, etc. Many thanks to everybody who helps me. Actually I wondered the photos I posted should whether be posted here or on some blog pages. Not very sure about the border line.

And thanks to have you here. Meeting bike friends so far away. Exciting. But... it seems like only you and me are here for these few days. You know what? In HK, it's Chinese New Year Day 4 today. Some of us have quite long vacation because it's the biggest in our tradition. I didn't spend much time thinking about Chinese traditions in recent years (I'm strange). And don't like it very much as it disturb my living rythm. How come we have 2 new years in HK?! So... the atmosphere here makes me feel like the whole world is having Chinese New Year vacation. Even the people online are rare. :?

:wink:

Jon
Jon Laurence

Postby Weakling on Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:59 pm

I trust that Amuro Lee have a generous heart when it comes to such things.

It could be my clumsy English making it sound as bad behavior. I'm not a typical Swede but we are known to be consensus oriented. To want everybody to feel at home and agreeing on things.

Yes we are too few active here so your question earlier in thread more likely could get answer on other forums. Or maybe not.

Do anyone have gone by plane with a folding bike? Carry me, A-Bike and Strida are small. But can they be taken on the planes (hand carry)? Strida seems to be too large in this sense. A-Bike seems okay. How about Carry Me? Anyone can tell me?

I remember that some have told about their experiences going by plane.

One person told that his bike was some inches too big but they just accepted it as hand baggage. So it could be up to the individual in charge at checking? I have never gone by plane myself.

I'm too lazy just now. Maybe I look for posts in the bikeforums.net within a few days unless me forget about it.

Or somebody here in our forum remember. A-bike should be small enough to get accepted. Maybe even Strida at some companies?

Didn't Mark Sanders mention this in his pdf about Strida? Maybe Amuro remembers.

Terrible snow weather you had in China. so many wanting to visit family and the trains had trouble. We have such conditions in Sweden every winter. Hour of waiting and not any good info on when it will going again.

So this is something we share all over the world it seems. :)

Being lazy I set up a question here

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=386853
Weakling

Postby Amuro Lee on Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:31 pm

Hi Jon,

Welcome to the A-bike Central Forum and thank you for your nice photos!

Sorry for my late reply. :oops:
Due to my unusual job nature, I was very busy during the Chinese New Year holidays.

There's also a thread of discussions in Chinese about A-bike here:
http://www.discuss.com.hk/viewthread.php?tid=8867874
I think you can post your nice photos on the above thread too.

When I was a student, the schools didn't teach me anything about computer nor Chinese input method too. However, I've learnt them myself and became a Chinese typist (paging opearator) in a paging company 13 years ago. Trust me, Chinese typing is not difficult to learn. I've taught many people how to type Chinese by Cangjie input method before.

Amuro
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amuro_Ray

Folding Forum - The Community Site for all Folding and Micro Bicycles
http://www.foldingforum.com/forum
Amuro Lee

Postby Jon Laurence on Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:28 pm

Hi Amuro,

Thanks for your welcome words. The thread at discuss.com.hk is great. Really great. Exactly what I'm finding (better than exactly if more people use English there).

Err... I didn't really mean the reason I don't type Chinese is our education. I know it's not so difficult geh. :wink: Luckily or unluckily my job keep me using English. And I'll be learning more English in the coming few months... half a year... or longer. I'm not sure. Then I'll re-learn Chinese again. Just feeling irony that a Chinese, me, needs to face it.

By the way, I'll try to join the thread and use English there. Let's see how much it works / doesn't work.

I want the weekend comes faster. I think I'll go with my A-Bike around Tai Po for more photos. Interesting to take such super short trips of few tens of minutes and share with others.

8) Jon
Jon Laurence

seatpost

Postby Guest on Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:47 am

Jon, where did you get the seatpost in HK? Thanks

Postby Jon Laurence on Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:25 am

I bought an A-Bicycle for a colleague (he doesn't use the net) at Yahoo Auctions. That's a Taiwan company always selling products there. They also sell that seat post (with a fair saddle) at $100 (HKD) including delivery.
Jon Laurence

seatpost

Postby metric on Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:59 am

A week ago a friend from HK brought me a real A-bike in TW while on CNY holidays and will bring it to HK next week and this will get sent to CN.

Do you have details for the TW company selling the seatpost? I can ask my freind in TW to buy this while there.

thanks much
metric

Postby Jon Laurence on Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:12 am

They sell it through Yahoo Auctions:
http://hk.f1.page.auctions.yahoo.com/hk ... u=gino5868

Do you read Chinese characters? You may email him at gino5868 at gmail.com but he basically can't speak any English. Um... reading and writing is okay geh.

8)

A-Biker Jon

Moderator Edit.

I fail to get the yahoo page to work. it doesn't show gino5868 it shows the log in page and no a-bike or any auktion.

I changed the email address so the harvesting spam bots doesn't put it on a CD and he get spammed to max. I know that all of us have different views on these spambots so if you insist I could change it back.

Another Moderator Edit.
The page rediects to the log in page because the auction has closed already. If your browser can dispaly Chinese Charters and you have an account of Yahoo HK, you will see the auction page after you have logged in.
Jon Laurence

seatpost

Postby metric on Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:47 am

thanks much, have asked a friend in HK to buy for me.
metric

Return to General Discussion