About the A-Bike Where to Buy Reviews Forum A-BIKE CENTRAL
Home Page
Gallery & Videos Sinclair Bikes History Other Folding Bikes A-Bike News (Blog)

Do you go cycling in rain?

Chat about your A-Bike, post details of your exploits, ask advice from other owners, etc.

Moderators: Binch Shin, newcross, Amuro Lee

Do you go cycling in rain?

Postby Jon Laurence on Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:48 am

It's raining in HK this weekend. I'm not going out. Um... do you go out with your A-Bike if it rains? How's it like? Dangerous? Any problems such as if it makes A-Bike easier to get broken? Mud gets into the chaincase, etc?
Jon Laurence

Postby Fai on Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:09 am

I won't go with it because it should be got dirty and have to be cleaned...
Fai

Postby No_Rain_Man on Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:25 am

Didn't we have reports of the chain box full with dirt? Our A-bike friend in Chicago maybe told us about it too?
No_Rain_Man

Postby Oleg on Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:48 pm

It is no great problems to ride under rain but i think that in this case there is probability to damage freewheel because they construction is very dirt unprotected.
Oleg

Postby newcross on Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:34 am

getting dirt is one thing. I found the pattern on A-bike tyres is not quite wet condition friendly, thus prone to slip.

riding on rough road surface or semi-off road under rainy weather is fine, but smooth road surface could be very dangerous.
newcross

Postby Sherlock Holmes on Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:34 pm

Yes, I did (and still do) have trouble with a lot of dirt and grime inside the gear box of my A-bike, since we have had such a wet winter here in Chicago. So far it has not caused any major problems, more so some unpleasant gritty sounds occasionally.

I think, though, that rain would not be too much of an issue because it is mainly just the water and dirt. I think I have been having more problems because they put down so much salt (and sometimes sand) on the roads and sidewalks in Chicago to melt the ice. The salt mixed with the moisture tends to build up and get crusty on everything.
Sherlock Holmes

Postby newcross on Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:47 pm

These two days, London's weather gone a bit wild. Morning is full of sunshine, then heavy rain comes later on the day.

I got fooled by the morning shine.... got soaked badly!!! for two days!!!!

Anyway, strange thing is that after bathing in rain and quite a bit of dirt, sliding of tubings became stiff. Haven't got time for close examination right now, but odd, isn't it? :roll:
newcross

Postby Weakling on Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:16 pm

Sherlock Holmes, thanks,

yes weather is rainy at times here in Sweden too.

Weakling

PS. I have a distant cousin living in Chicago. "Lake Villa"? Most likely a kind of suburb or something. Far out? His mother was fond of my Mother and they kept snail mail contact and met each four years when they could afford to visit her old homeland.

If I knew her son better I would ask to come and visit him and his children and grand children but we lost contact during our youth. Both our Mom's are dead now. Is it great living in Chicago? Woner if me would understand the local language accent? :) Does Americans have accents? I know from personal experience that Englishmen and Brittish and Scots have.
Weakling

Return to General Discussion